Week 9

Baby manatee
This past weekend, a few of the volunteers went to Cuero y Salado Wildlife Reserve. The reserve is only a few towns away, but involves taking both a bus and a little open-air train to get there. Upon arrival, we boarded a small boat and our guide took us down the river and into the mangroves. We saw crocodiles, bats, birds and monkeys. After the tour, we visited a small pool where they were rehabilitating a baby manatee. It was a fun adventure and a good excuse to get out of the house.

Cloudy beach in a nearby town
During the week, my last year of high school and my experience here connected in an unexpected way. As a senior, I worked as a Peer Writing Advisor. I had a few periods each week set aside in which other members of my school could come and get my advice on a piece of writing. Though I ended up working mostly with analytical essays, I'd been trained to give feedback on anything from poems to lab reports. I hadn't, however, been taught about how to teach someone to write from scratch-- especially not in another language. That's why, when one of my HCA adult students asked me to teach him how to write, I jumped at the challenge. However, during the days before our first meeting, I puzzled over where to start and how to convey things that, at this point in my life, come so naturally. Luckily, my student had an idea of what he wanted to get out of our sessions and came with a plan for an essay he wanted to write about politics. This allowed me to take a back seat and let him lead the way. I found the whole situation fascinating and I wondered whether it was even possible to help someone write an essay in a language that I don't speak fluently. Although I may be able to understand his ideas, and although his English is ridiculously good, I am still unsure as to whether my involvement will make a difference.

Our neighbors' cat had kittens
Early this week, for the first time since I've been here, we had a parent drop their child off at class. When I saw an adult standing at the doorway to our classroom, it seemed so strange. Then I realized how strange it was that having a parent in our classroom was strange. After all, this past summer, I spent six weeks working at a day camp in Philadelphia. Each morning, I would check the kids in and say hello and goodbye to their parents. At camp, it felt completely normal to see parents around. I even formed small relationships with some of them, knowing who would welcome an enthusiastic hello and who would ask me how I was doing. However, here in El P, children never get dropped off. I assume that most parents know their kids go to English class with the gringos, but feel no need to accompany them there and back nor see what's going on. Compared to my childhood and the childhoods of kids in my community, the difference is quite striking. Maybe it was the fact that we went to school far enough away that we couldn't walk home, but all of my classmates under the age of twelve would get picked up every day after school by a parent, grandparent, or babysitter. The norm was that young kids would be watched by someone until their parents got home, or that their parents would take time off work in order to be with them. In El P though, children explore the streets with no supervision and walk around for hours after school going to shops to buy snacks or hanging out with friends. Most parents don't seem to keep tabs on their kids' whereabouts and the idea of a helicopter parent is unimaginable. As much as I loved my childhood, I feel like I missed out on the sense of community that would have been built if I'd played with the neighborhood kids every day after school. Watching these children have so much freedom makes me nostalgic for something I never had.

All three PEP PM classes pose for a photo after the treasure hunt
This week was Fun Week with all of our PEP (Porvenir English Program) classes. We took a break from our typical lessons and played lots of games, did many art projects, and even helped the kids make their own snack one day. The week ended with a treasure hunt that involved all three afternoon classes. Each group began at their location and looked for clues that eventually led them to the Bomberos (firefighters). Once there, they were all given their 'treasure' which consisted of a bag of popcorn, glitter, some sweets, and a small plastic animal. It was the first time since I'd been here that we'd done any activity with more than one class together and seeing all of my favorite kids in one place warmed my heart.

Water break during treasure hunt
Last week I invited my blog readers to donate to the HCA Snack Program. Soon after that, the amount in our GoFundMe almost quadrupled. I want to take a moment to appreciate everyone who contributed. This organization and these kids truly mean so much to me and I cannot thank you enough for helping us out. If you didn't give a donation and would still like to, I've attached the link. Thanks again!!https://www.gofundme.com/hunger-relief-in-honduras

Word of the week:
Meter la pata: to put your foot in your mouth. This phrase is a metaphor that has the same significance in English as it does in Spanish. When you say this to someone you're telling them that you messed up.

Yamit quote of the week:
"You take my money, I take your underwear!" said after realizing that Yamit had no money and Lila had no underwear.

Comments